In episode 2 entitled "The Box" the coffin has made it across the river (thanks to Gus). Eph and Nora are still trying to figure out what's up. Both the dead and those released from quarantine are starting to infect others. In other happenings:
- The political higher ups (encouraged by Eldritch) determine that everyone on the plane died of carbon monoxide poisoning. Yeah right. They release the four quarantined passengers since nothing strange is going on with them. Apparently bloodshot eyes and blood hacking are commonplace in the big city.
- What's left of Bishop is found. His head has been stomped by that vampiry thing we saw last week.
- Eichorst visits Abraham Setrakian in prison. They go WAY back. Apparently Abraham was in a concentration camp in WWII and Eichorst was a Nazi guard. Eich keeps referring to Abe's wife/girlfriend Sardu (I may have the name spelled wrong). Hers is the heart we saw Abe feeding previously. And if there were an Emmy for finger pointing, it should go to Eich. That was super creepy and very effective.
- Later Eichorst takes Eldritch Palmer to meet the box and the "Master". Eldritch is seriously afraid of the big tall vampire. Hmmm. Maybe this wasnt such a good plan (causing the extinction of the human race and all).
- Everyone has forgotten about Dr Bennett from the last episode. He's long dead. Some friends you guys are. Oh and there's nothing unusual about all those missing dead bodies.
- Eph goes to an AA meeting. "Hi I'm Eph and I'm powerless over vampires." "Welcome Eph!" In other news Eph goes to see his son. His wife and her new boyfriend are doing home renovations. Who cares? Not me.
- We meet Vasiliy Fet who's a health inspector. He has lots of vermin catching experience so better keep him around. They're going to need him later.
- Why hello Regina King (Ruby). I hope she plays a bigger part on the show. And what about Sean Astin? His contribution to this episode was upchucking after finding Bishop's body.
- The best scene award goes to the french girl chilling in the bath tub. She very much reminded me of an alligator patiently awaiting it's prey (which in her case was Daddy).
- “A good story always trumps the truth, just give the press a villain to hate."- Eldritch.
- "You're not a hero or a savior. You're just a number."- Eichorst to Abraham.
- "Ive never felt more excited about a meeting in my entire life"- Eldritch about meeting the "Master".
Grade: 4 1/2 Monsters (out of 5). Yes the show is slow at times but so far it has enough going to keep me coming back. "The Strain" is scheduled to run 13 episodes so I guess they have to stretch it out with some miscellaneous scenes.
TV: Heavy On Sci Fi, Horror & Adventure; Light On Reality