Bates Motel Season 4 Episode 9 Review: Forever Is A Very Long Time! - GMonsterTV

728x90 AdSpace

Powered by Blogger.

Bates Motel Season 4 Episode 9 Review: Forever Is A Very Long Time!


The penultimate episode of "Bates Motel" kept us on pins and needles throughout. It was only a matter of time before someone else woke up dead thanks to Norman. 


Romero secretly asks Dylan to help have Norman committed (knowing there is no way Norma will do it). Dylan tries to talk to Norma but, as predicted, she's having none of it. Dylan tells Norma she was never a real mother to him and leaves-- but not before telling Norman he is not well and needs to go back to Pineview. Oh the feels! Poor Dylan definitely gets the short end of the stick in the Bates family.  


Rebecca shows up at the diner again and immediately starts questioning Romero about Bob Paris. That was a funny scene. Rebecca seriously sucks at undercover work. A person would have to be stupid NOT to know she was wearing a wire. Alex says a few choice words to the DEA boys via the hidden mic and exists. 

Norma breaks up with Alex after finding out he's trying to commit Norman. She is emotionally devastated and writes a note to him and puts her wedding ring in the envelope.

There were several instances during "Forever" when I thought Norma might strike. Norma and Norman drive along the coast. This is one of the very first scenes we saw in the series. I was a little worried that he would attempt to grab the wheel and drive them off a cliff.  But to be honest, I thought Mother would dispose of Alex WAY before Norma. 


In the end, Norma was done in by the faulty furnace that had referenced earlier. Norman lays in bed with Norma as they discuss leaving for Hawaii. Norman says "we are charming people" and could work in the hospitality industry. Norma drifts off to sleep (while Mr Sandman plays in the background). Norman then goes around and shuts every vent in the house. Those were some great shots-- very suspenseful. Norman lays down beside his mother again. It's a murder/suicide. Interesting note: It is Norman and NOT Mother who does the deed as a way for them to be together forever. I had always assumed it was Mother who would off Norma.   


Luckily Romero arrives. He senses what is wrong and carries both Norma and Norman to another room and breaks open some windows. He tries mouth to mouth on Norma but to no avail. Norman awakens, looks over at Norma and says "Mother". Alex cries over Norma's limp body. I cry too. It doesnt seem right for Norma to go out like this. I'm still holding out hope that she isnt really dead... but I, like Norman, may be out of touch with reality. 


If Norma is really dead, Norman is going to go bat shit. Where do we go from here? I have no idea. I'll keep watching the show till the bitter end but I'm still devastated by this episode. 


Favorite Quotes:

  • "No one knows Norman like I do. We are two parts of the same person."- Norma to Romero. 
  • "Five minutes of marriage doesnt give you the right to make decisions about my son."- Norma to Alex. 
  • Norma: " We are supposed to be together arent we Norman?" Norman: "Yes mother. Forever."
  • "Norman, you're not well."- Dylan. 
  • Norman: "Dylan, I'm your mother." Dylan: "You've never been a real mother to me. Never!"


Grade:  4 1/2 Monsters (out of 5). An excellent episode even though I'm still upset about the ending. Norma Bates will go down in my book as one of the best TV characters in recent history. I just wish her time hadnt come so soon. 


Photo Credits:
http://www.sidereel.com/tv-shows/bates-motel/episodes
http://www.sensacine.com/series/serie-10846/
https://eztv.ag/ep/147547/bates-motel-s04e09-hdtv-x264-fleet/
http://www.hollywoodnewsdaily.com/2016/bates-motel-spoilers-is-norma-really-dead/9842
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/05/09/bates-motel-preview-forever
http://sw.fanpop.com/clubs/norma-louise-bates/images/37038507/title/norma-bates-bates-motel-screencaps-photo
http://www.scoopnest.com/user/IGN/709429571486158848

GMonsterTV
Previously The World According To GMonster
TV: Heavy On Sci Fi, Horror & Adventure; Light On Reality


May 14, 2016

Bates Motel Season 4 Episode 9 Review: Forever Is A Very Long Time! Reviewed by GMonsterTV on 3:58 PM Rating: 5 The penultimate episode of "Bates Motel" kept us on pins and needles throughout. It was only a matter of time before someone...

3 comments:

  1. Am I the only one who heard Norman tell the detective that Norma was falling a sleep and then he went and laid down with her. Like how could she have started the furnace..how the hell can they say it was her trying to commit a murder suicide. I didn't catch it till I watched episode 10 the second time. I was wondering if anyone else thought as I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have to watch again to make sure but I believe I remember him saying something to that effect. I just chalked it up to incompetent police work... and everyone thinking Norman is a harmless young man... NOT!

    ReplyDelete