Helix Episode 8 Recap: Remain Calm This Crisis Is In Its Final Stages - GMonsterTV

728x90 AdSpace

Powered by Blogger.

Helix Episode 8 Recap: Remain Calm This Crisis Is In Its Final Stages


I don't know about you but when someone tells me to remain calm, that's when I start to panic. And here's what happened during day 8 at Arctic Biosystems. "Bloodline" finds Julia back upstairs thanks to Hatake. She appears to be in perfect health except for some light sensitivity, silver eyes, and a healthy appetite. Hatake spends much of the episode telling Julia she is the most important person there and telling Alan to protect her at all costs. 

Sergio is still recovering from an ax to the gut thanks to Daniel. Anana finally convinces Daniel that he was abducted as a child (previously I had incorrectly called him Tulok instead of Miksa). He sends Anana away to protect her. As she is leaving she sees Sergio stealing the snowmobile. They fight. Then the Ilaria soldiers show up. Sergio tells her to leave because they wont kill him. I'm sure Anana will be back at some point. Is Sergio a good guy or bad guy? I still dont know. Maybe he's a little of both.  
  
Constance holds Julia captive because "her body contains a proprietary virus". Constance confronts Hatake. She tries to find out what he did to Julia. He suggests Julia is a naturally occurring mutation and not "one of us" (whatever that means). 

Alan and Sarah devise a plan to kill Constance. They try blowing her up but that doesnt work. Oh dear, now she's pissed. She orders Alan to the lab or she will kill Peter (but of course she plans to kill them both anyway). Sarah uses a sonic weapon (where did she learn that) to save Alan. The vectors take Peter into the air ducts. Hatake says they wont hurt him.  

Sutton puts Julie in a box to ship her back to HQ. They are pulling out. The next wave can take care of the survivors (ie exterminate them). But Alan and crew fight back and liberate Julia. They attack the solders. Sutton's right hand man shoots himself instead of being captured. 

We find out Hatake and Sutton were previously an item. No surprise there. If two people hate each other with a passion, they probably were deeply in love at some point. And in the first big reveal of the episode, Constance says "Was it worth it, chasing the Willis hypothesis to protect that abomination... your daughter". So yep, everyone that guessed that was correct.  

They discuss the watch that Hatake is wearing. It was given to him by Sutton many years ago. Is he keeping it for sentimental reasons? Nope, it has a secret choke cord in it. Hatake and Constance struggle. He finally gets the cord around her neck and chokes her to DEATH. I really didnt see that coming. I thought she would be around for longer than two episodes. And where can I get one of those watches? 

In the final scene, Hatake and Daniel (call him "Miksa") are out in the snow with an igloo cooler. He puts Constance's head in a jar for fresh keeping. OK then. Will we see her again? We saw Dr Hvit's head a few episodes back and he's been MIA since. 

Hypotheses:
  • For the first time we find out that the vectors have some sort of "green freaky vision". What's that about? Does that mean Julia and Hatake are invisible to them? Are the vectors afraid of them?
  • There are plenty of allusions to us vs them. I'm going with the theory that Hatake and Constance are aliens. They have heightened physical abilities and dont age. Was Hatake supposed to create a virus/cure so they could either: A. Get rid of all/some the humans; or B. Turn them into slaves? I just hope they arent lizards. I'm tired of lizard aliens. 
  • That was a fun reference to the movie "Alien" when Julie pretended to be choking. If I was her I wouldnt be joking about that. There may indeed be an alien inside of her. 
  • I still dont know what the Willis hypothesis is? Any guesses?
  • When will we find out Sarah's back story? She is much more than she seems.
  • I continue to look for secret clues in the dialogue. Several of the terms used seem unusual. Sergio refers to himself as a "parasite". That's a strange thing for one to say about themselves. He could say I'm a monster, a killer, or a horrible person. I have never once in my life thought of referring to myself as a parasite. Maybe they really are parasites and need a way to latch onto their human hosts? Who knows. 
  • Will the next wave of baddies show up next week?

Favorite quotes:
  • "I am a murderer and a parasite"- Sergio. Ladies, when a man tells ya point blank that he is no good, you really should believe him. 
  • "She is not one of us"- Hatake to Sutton (referring to Julie)
  • "I see a pathetic shell of a woman that I once loved and admired"- Hatake to Sutton
  • "We took a vow to author a separate history"- Sutton to Hatake
  • "You always did have a weakness for them"- Sutton to Hake, does that mean "them" as in the children or "them" as in humans?
  • "Its never the same after you start replacing parts"- Sutton referring to the watch she gave Hatake (or is she?) 
  • "Ain't family a bitch"- Constance referring to threatening to kill Peter is Alan doesnt comply. 
  • "We all change? It doesnt mean we lose who we are"- Alan to Jules
  • "This crisis is in its final stages and will soon be under control"- Hatake

And has anyone else had a hard time finding the latest episodes of the show if you didnt DVR it? It's not up on OnDemand yet. I cant access it via the SyFy app with my ipad. It's not on Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Hulu or Cokeandpopcorn. I can access it on the SyFy website via my laptop if I enter my cable company info. SyFy channel: If ya want people to watch the show, ya really need to make it a little easier.   

Grade: 4 1/2 Monsters (out of 5). I've said it many times before but I just LOVE this show! There better be a season 2 or I'll go all vector on someone. 



The World According To GMonster
TV: Heavy On Sci Fi, Horror & Adventure; Light On Reality



Helix Episode 8 Recap: Remain Calm This Crisis Is In Its Final Stages Reviewed by GMonsterTV on 12:15 PM Rating: 5 I don't know about you but when someone tells me to remain calm, that's when I start to panic. And here's what happened duri...

2 comments:

  1. This has been a very fun show so far! Watching in large format with the surround sound on really amplifies the 'gotcha' moments, and I'll admit I've jumped out of my seat a few times!
    www.syncomation.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Not sure why more people aren't talking about it. It's great!

    ReplyDelete