Downton Abbey Season 5 Episodes 1 Recap: Times They Are A Changin (Season Premiere) - GMonsterTV

728x90 AdSpace

Powered by Blogger.

Downton Abbey Season 5 Episodes 1 Recap: Times They Are A Changin (Season Premiere)


It's 1924 and change is in the wind. The days of the aristocratic class is on the slow (or sometimes fast) decline. Lord Grantham and the Dowager Countess are feeling particularly left behind as others seek new freedoms, new careers and new futures. Lady Mary is contemplating what her new beau might be like in the sack (how shocking!). Edith is secretly trying to see her out of wedlock daughter Marigold (who is being raised by the local pig farmer/volunteer fireman). Tom is looking for love with an outspoken politico school teacher. Lord and Lady Gratham have an anniversary but things may not be as lovely as they seem. Downstairs several of the servants are considering leaving the manor for other lines of employment. 


My, What A Big Gun You Have

Lady Edith burns down her room but luckily not the entire house. It's the pig farmer to the rescue. We also find out that Baxter's deep dark secret is... wait for it. She was a jewel thief and spent three years in the slammer. Who would have guessed? Not me and probably not Lady Cora. Speaking of Cora, will she be seeking affection elsewhere? I'm not sure how I feel about that (since she's a saint and that strikes me as out of character). But if I was married to Robert Crawley my eye might wander as well. 


I Hear Some Jewels Calling Me

Favorite Quotes:
  • "I intend to be as happy with my second husband as I was with my first"- Mary to Lord Gratham.  
  • "I feel a shaking of the ground I stand on, that everything I believe in will be tested and held up to ridicule in the next couple of years."- Mr Carson. 
  • "There will come a time when a household is lucky to boast any footmen."- Mrs Hughes. 
  • “What worries me is that the government is committed to the destruction of people like us and everything we stand for."- Lord Grantham. 
  • “What could be more important, to make sure THAT side of things is right before we tie ourselves to someone forever?”- Mary about Lord Gillingham. 

See Anything Peculiar In This Picture? Hint: There's A Plastic Bottle On The Mantle On The Right...Oops

It's Party Time... Downton Style

Grade: 3 1/2 Monsters (out of 5). We're off to a good season. Any bets on what will happen by the end? Sorry, if you watched the show in the UK you cant play. I also enjoyed the special that aired afterwards-- "Manners of Downton Abbey" with historian Alastair Bruce. It was an interesting behind the scenes look at the show. I like structure but that is a bit much even for me. 



Photo Credits:
http://www.thewrap.com/
http://perezhilton.com/2014-08-14-downton-abbey-first-stills-season-five-major-mistake-lol#.VKs-c9Iq7IU
http://www.iefimerida.gr/news/166973/%CE%B5%CE%BD%CE%B1-
http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/downton-abbey-season-five-episode-one-213399
http://www.indiewire.com/article/review-downton-abbey-season-5-episode-1-reveals-secrets-but-fails-to-scandalize-20150104

The World According To GMonster
TV: Heavy On Sci Fi, Horror & Adventure; Light On Reality


January 5, 2015 


Downton Abbey Season 5 Episodes 1 Recap: Times They Are A Changin (Season Premiere) Reviewed by GMonsterTV on 9:14 PM Rating: 5 It's 1924 and change is in the wind. The days of the aristocratic class is on the slow (or sometimes fast) decline. Lord Grantham ...

2 comments: