The Americans Episode 3 Recap: Lies, Lies And More Lies - GMonsterTV

728x90 AdSpace

Powered by Blogger.

The Americans Episode 3 Recap: Lies, Lies And More Lies



"The Americans" continues to be my favorite new show on TV. I like to watch each episode twice to see the little nuances that I missed the first time around. I also appreciate that it's closed captioned so I don't miss anything (yeah I'm looking at you "The Following").

The opening scene of episode 3 "Gregory" has Phillip and Stan playing racquetball. I REALLY miss you racquetball! Anyway, Stan says the game is not about speed or power. Is about strategy (making your opponent run around until they're exhausted and make a mistake). I don't think we're talking about racquetball here.

This episode is chock full of surprises. It turns out that the KGB agent that got killed in the first episode (Rob) had a wife (Joyce) and son (Oscar). She didn't know he was an agent but both sides are after her. Rob was also trying to get the blueprints for something the Americans are working on to slow the Soviets nuclear program. Phillip later gets it but is slightly injured (I think) in the process.

Margo Martindale also makes her appearance as Gabriel's replacement. Phillip has nicknamed her "Granny". The biggest surprise of the episode is that Elizabeth has been having a relationship with Gregory for the past 15 years. He has been working with her and the Soviets all this time. Phillip needless to say is not happy. Elizabeth tries to explain why she turned to Gregory and wants to make a go of the marriage. Phillip seems somewhat receptive.

Granny picked up Joyce and Oscar from Elizabeth and Phillip. She said they were going to Cuba but Oscar turns up alone at his Soviet grandparents house. The last scene shows Joyce dead in a car from a drug overdose. Never trust a matronly older woman in a black van. Damn you Margo Martindale! I really like you but you've made me afraid of you once again.

Favorite quote of the episode: "Lying? What does that even mean to us?” Elizabeth to Phillip when talking about her affair with Gregory. This show is at its essence about what's real and the lies we tell each other-- lies the government tells us, lies we tell to our coworkers, friends and partners. 
The Americans Episode 3 Recap: Lies, Lies And More Lies Reviewed by GMonsterTV on 5:32 PM Rating: 5 "The Americans" continues to be my favorite new show on TV. I like to watch each episode twice to see the little nuances that...

No comments: