Once Upon A Time Season 4 Episodes 18 Thru 20 Reviews: Emma, Youre Better Than This (And I Need You) - GMonsterTV

728x90 AdSpace

Powered by Blogger.

Once Upon A Time Season 4 Episodes 18 Thru 20 Reviews: Emma, Youre Better Than This (And I Need You)


I felt season 4 was dragging a bit but I really enjoyed the last three episodes. Below is an overview of the basic happenings. I didnt go into all the minute details. And I'll confess (as always) that I watch this show mainly for Swan Queen. 

In "Heart Of Gold" Rumple is in a bad spot. He's in the hospital (in the real world, not Storeybrooke) and is close to death. He needs some elixir that Robin stole but it's not working. Robin is not a very good their IRL. We also see Robin's back story. To be honest, I really dont care. 

And somehow Rumple is back in Storeybrooke to tell Regina that if she doesnt help him turn Emma evil, Robin will be killed. Regina says "You have made me a monster but I wont let you do the same thing to Emma". So he makes her choose between Emma and Robin. No choice there. Pick E-M-M-A immediately. But I digress. 


You're In My Personal Space Dearie

The juiciest part of this episode was the reveal that... wait for it... that Zelena is back and disguised as Marian. Wow, I didnt see that coming. Exactly how it happened (we thought she died in a cell in Storeybrooke) I'm not sure. This means that Marian was dead all along and Regina really can have her happy ending with Robin. But given Zelena hates Regina's guts, that's not likely to happen anytime soon. And we all know Regina should end up with Emma anyway.  

In other news, Maleficent's daughter is alive and in the real world. And everyone is still looking for the author. 


Puppy Killer!

"Sympathy For The De Vil" is all about Cruella. She tells Maleficent "I'm a terrible person" and she truly is. There's no middle ground. She's just bad to the bone and I love it. We see her as a teenager living with her mother. For some strange reason, mommy is able to communicate with animals (including her pet guard dogs).  


The Calm Before The Crazy

The Author comes to the De Vil house looking for stories. If someone came to my door looking for stories I'd chase them off (just like Jehovah's Witnesses). But I digress. Cruella bats her eyelashes at him and the Author is smitten. They go to a restaurant. Author writes in the book that "Cruella is able to control the actions of any and all animals she desires". 

We also learn that all the stories in the Author's books are outside of space and time. OK then. Not sure why you threw that in there "Once Upon A Time". You're beginning to sound a little like "12 Monkeys". Now my head hurts. 

And what does Cruella do with her new found magical powers? She: 1. Has her doggies kill Mother and 2. Sews said doggies into a nice coat for herself. Side Note: I dont care if you kill people in TV shows but when you start messing with animals, I get royally pissed. We also learn that Cruella previously killed her father and I'm not sure who all else. 

When Author realizes what Cruella is really like, he adds a clause to her story saying "Cruella de Vil can no longer take away the life of another". Does this apply to animals too? Back in Storeybrooke Cruella steals Henry in an attempt to get her happy ending. Emma (already in major anger mode) goes to rescue him. Seriously how many times is poor Henry going to be kidnapped on this show? I've lost count. Emma finds them on a cliff and magics Cruella off. Yep she's dead. You can always tell when their arms and legs are pointing different directions than usual. And the Charmings are of course too late to tell Emma that Cruella is harmless because they themselves are completely useless. The death pushes Emma closer to the dark side. I have a hard time buying this. When you screw with the Savior's kid, you should expect to get killed.  

In a side story Rumple pleads with Bell to take him back. She's having none of it because... she is working with Regina. Regina currently has Belle's heart. That old trick again? Girl, take some responsibility and kick that man to the curb on general principle. But no one asked me. 

There seem to be a few major plot holes in this episode (more than usual). But who's really keeping track at this point? Next week Emma and Regina go in search of Maleficent's baby.
Help Me Find My Daughter... And Take Your Girlfriend With You

It's Swan Queen road trip time in "Lily". To recap, we now know that Maleficent's daughter is really Emma's childhood friend Lily. Remember, she's the one with the star tattoo on her wrist. I would ask what the odds of such a thing are, but this is "OUAT" so just roll with it. Regina and Emma set off on a road trip in the yellow bug. Have I mentioned I love those two together? Cause I do.

Through flashbacks we see what happened during Lily and Emma's last interaction. Lily is doomed by fate thanks to the Charmings (so nothing she does will ever turn out right). They did this in order to make sure Emma was infused with all the goodness (thus giving Lily all the darkness).  

Emma and Regina wander around till they find Lily (courtesy of a stray wolf). She's working in a diner under a false name. She tells Emma to hit the road. Her life is just fine now. They see her pick up a girl at the bus stop-- but psych out. Lily doesnt have any children. Emma and Regina break into her house and see a big wall with all their names on it. What do we learn from this? Lily is definitely a S-T-A-L-K-E-R. 

Lily steals Emma's VW. Emma and Regina get in a muscle car. Too funny! Emma corners Lily and draws a gun on her in the middle of the road. Again I must emphasize, they're in the middle of the road around a blind curve. This doesnt feel very safe to me. Emma is seriously out of control and Lily daring her to shoot her doesnt help matters. 



Regina finally talks her down by saying "Emma, you are better than this". What a powerful scene. A big hug (between Regina and Emma, not Emma and Lily) would have been a perfect ending... but I guess not. Lily and Emma make up, for now.   



Uh, Adult Lily Doesnt Look A Thing Like Teenage Lily. Are We Supposed to Notice That?

Next Regina heads to NYC to see Robin. He does not believe her about Marian being Zelena. But Zelena has another surprise for them. She is preggo. Haaa, this is going to be good. Do you think the child will be green?


No Need To Fight Ladies, There's Plenty Enough Of Me To Go Around

Favorite Quotes:

  • "I need you Emma"- Regina. 
  • "Emma, you're better than this"- Regina. 
  • "You have made me a monster but I wont let you do the same thing to Emma"- Regina to Rumple. 
  • "I am only the savior because you altered the entire state of my being at the expense of someone else's soul."- Emma to her parents. 
  • "Im a terrible person"- Cruella De Vil. Yes, you are. 
  • "My magic comes at a cost as you know. And I've racked up so much debt that I can never be clear of it unless I find a way to change the rules."- Rumple. 
  • "The one you drank wont cure your heart but it will lessen the effects of severe cold and flu symptoms. Dont worry, it's non drowsy."- Zelena to Rumple. 
  • Regina: "Youre acting like a petulant child. Your parents they a bad thing. They apologized. Now get over it." Emma: "Forgive me if I dont take advice from a woman who held a grudge for half her life because a 10 year old spilled a secret."


Grade: 4 1/2 Monsters (out of 5). Yes there seemed to be a number of glaring plot holes in these episodes but who really cares? Besides that and some of the filler scenes, I really enjoyed these three episodes. There are only 3 left in season 4. Any guesses as to where it will all end?



Photo Credits:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J7dQIEf8BU
http://oncepodcast.com/lily-once-upon-a-time-podcast-196/
http://www.geeksofdoom.com/2015/04/28/tv-review-upon-a-time-4-20-lily
https://twitter.com/motaidil
http://www.afterellen.com/tag/swanqueen
http://oncepodcast.com/heart-of-gold-once-upon-a-time-podcast-192/
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/93238654762212050/
http://onceuponatime.wikia.com/wiki/Cruella_De_Vil
http://gossipandgab.com/71288/once-upon-a-time-season-4-episode-19-recap-little-girl-lost
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/once-a-time-spoilers-season-792699

The World According To GMonster
TV:  Heavy On Sci Fi, Horror & Adventure; Light On Reality


May 3, 2015
Once Upon A Time Season 4 Episodes 18 Thru 20 Reviews: Emma, Youre Better Than This (And I Need You) Reviewed by GMonsterTV on 5:10 PM Rating: 5 I felt season 4 was dragging a bit but I really enjoyed the last three episodes. Below is an overview of the basic happenings. I...

No comments: