Hannibal Season 3 Episode 13 Review: This Is All I Ever Wanted (Series Finale) - GMonsterTV

728x90 AdSpace

Powered by Blogger.

Hannibal Season 3 Episode 13 Review: This Is All I Ever Wanted (Series Finale)


"Wrath Of The Lamb" opens with the Red Dragon trapping Reba. It appears he's planning set her and the house on fire. Instead Francis shoots himself. Reba crawls under the flames and takes the key from around his neck. She escapes before being burned alive. I'm so happy Reba survives. I thought she was a goner for sure. But  the trick's on us. The Dragon is not dead after all. The body Reba felt was some poor guy from a nearby gas station. Dolarhyde is on the loose. He visits Will. They conspire to kill Hannibal 


Will's plan is to put Hannibal in police custody and fake his escape. Hannibal will then draw out Dolarhyde. Lecter agrees to help (since Will asks him nicely). In return, he'll get his books and toilet back. Secretly Jack, Alana and Will decide to kill both Hannibal and the Dragon. 


Alana smartly flees the country with Margo and their child. She doesn't want them anywhere near when Hannibal shows up. Hannibal has made no secret of his plans saying "You died in my kitchen Alana... Every moment since then is borrowed time. Your wife, your child. They belong to me."

Meanwhile Bedelia is also afraid for her life. She and Will has one of the best exchanges of the season. Bedelia says "You righteous, reckless, twitchy little man. You might as well have slit all our throats and be done with it." Will replies with "Pack your bags Bedelia. Meats back on the menu." Will wouldnt have to tell me twice. I'd beat him out the door making my escape. But we know Bedelia will hang out because she, like Will, just cant quit Hannibal.   

I'm Looking Forward To Our Road Trip

We see Will and Hannibal in a transport van. A police car pulls up beside them. It's the Dragon. He shoots all the cops and drives away. Hannibal and Will survive and jump in a police car (after of course throwing out the bodies of the two dead cops). Maybe this wasnt such a good plan after all. 

Hannibal takes Will back to the same seaside house where he previously hid Miriam and Abigail. As they drink, the Dragon shoots Hannibal through a window and bursts in. Will continues to sip his wine. Then everyone gets really stabby. The Drag stabs Will in the cheek. Will stabs the Dragon in the leg. The Dragon stabs Will in the chest. Will  and Hannibal tag team the Dragon with an axe and a knife. There is blood everywhere. Great visual of the Dragon with his wings outstretched before he dies (and then his blood becoming another set of wings). 

I Think We Should Get Matching Rings

Now for the main event. A badly injured Hannibal embraces a badly injured Will. Hannibal says "This is all I ever wanted for you Will. For us both.". Will responds with "It's beautiful" and flings himself and Hannibal off a cliff into the ocean. And end scene. 

In a surprise bonus, after the credits roll we see Bedelia getting ready for dinner. The main course is her own leg. Say what? If this a time jump and Hannibal lives and is making good on his promises? Maybe Bedelia is just being proactive. I dont think so because she hides a fork. Poor Bedelia. She should have left town when she has a chance.      

Favorite Quotes:

  • "Ding, dong the Dragon's dead."- Will to Hannibal.
  • "Pack your bags Bedelia. Meat's back on the menu."- Will to Bedelia. 
  • "You righteous, reckless, twitchy little man. You might as well have slit all our throats and be done with it."- Bedelia to Will. 
  • "You died in my kitchen Alana... Every moment since then is borrowed time. Your wife, your child. They belong to me."- Hannibal to Alana.   
  • "Who holds the Devil, let him hold him well."- Bedelia to Will.
  • "Going my way?"- Hannibal to Will after stealing a police car and pushing out to the dead police officers. 
  • "No greater love hath a man than to lay down his life for a friend."- Hannibal to Will. 
  • "If you see him, wish him a speed recovery and I hope he is not ugly."- Hannibal to Alana about Chilton (who is completely burned over most of his body). 
  • Jack: "We kill Dolaryde. And then we kill Hannibal." Will: "To the Devil his due."
  • "Maybe I cant save myself. Maybe that's just fine."- Will to Hannibal. 
  • "This is all I ever wanted for you Will. For us both."-Hannibal to Will before Will flings them both off a cliff.

Grade: 5 Monsters (out of 5). An excellent season/series finale. It ended exactly as I had hoped. Did Hannibal and/or Will survive the fall? And is one (or both) dining with/on Bedelia? I love that the ending is ambiguous enough so it could go either way. 

Perhaps if a Netflix/Amazon-type-company picks up the show, we'll see more of their journey. The odds are not good (since most of the major players have already passed). If not, it has been a great ride. 
 
I remember back before season 1 began, I was very skeptical that anyone could take Anthony Hopkin's place as Lecter. Boy, was I wrong. Mads Mikkelsen brings a whole different interpretation to the character (that I really enjoyed tremendously). Bedelia  (played by the always wonderful Gillian Anderson) was also an excellent addition. I would seriously watch a Bedelia spinoff. Jack (played by Laurence Fishburne) was also a great addition. 

The show also brought an entirely new take on the relationship between Will and Hannibal. Is Hannibal in love with Will-- or as much in love as a psychopath can be? Hannibal turned himself in previously because Will rejected him. Hannibal agreed to help get the Dragon because of Will. How does Will feel? I'm not sure but at the very least hes obsessed with Hannibal. And they did, after all, tumble to their (supposed) deaths in each other's arms. Can't get more romantic than that. I'm sure the Hanngram shippers squealed with glee at that embrace. This is the first time on TV where we've seen two main male characters end up professing their love for each. And I have to say, it worked and it added a fresh new layer to the already great story. 

If this is really the end, I would like to profess my love as well. I will sorely miss you "Hannibal. We may never see another show like you on television. 

 
Photo Credits:

World According To GMonster
TV: Heavy On Sci Fi, Horror & Adventure; Light On Reality


September 5, 2015


Hannibal Season 3 Episode 13 Review: This Is All I Ever Wanted (Series Finale) Reviewed by GMonsterTV on 12:48 PM Rating: 5 "Wrath Of The Lamb" opens with the Red Dragon trapping Reba. It appears he's planning set her and the house on fire. Inste...

No comments: