Penny Dreadful Episode 8: Dad Always Liked You Best (Season Finale) - GMonsterTV

728x90 AdSpace

Powered by Blogger.

Penny Dreadful Episode 8: Dad Always Liked You Best (Season Finale)

screenrant.com

"Penny Dreadful" has quickly become one of my most favorite shows on television (and as you know I watch a lot of TV). Looking back over season one, I'm not sure we accomplished much in terms of plot development. I loved the ride none of the less. I believe PD have proven itself successful at keeping the audience's attention by the sheer force of it's characters. I dont really care what they're doing as long as we can watch them doing it. 

In the "Grand Guignol", our band of misfits is still in search of Mina (which has been the goal all along). They head to the theater but there are a few stops along the way.  

Vanessa gives Dorian the brushoff. She says there is a rare connection between them but she cant risk becoming possessed again. Dorian doesnt understand. It appears this is the first time he's ever been rejected. Take my word for it dude. It gets easier after the hundredth time. As I have stated previously, I find Dorian the least compelling of all the PD characters. I'm hoping we'll see his portrait and then he hits the road. 

Sir Murray visits a gun shop where he encounters Madame Kali from the seance. Of course, she's just an actress trying to make a living in the big city. There is some banter between the two. I'm sure we'll be seeing more of her next season. Will she be Malcolm's love interest? I sense that she has other motives. 

Caliban has a run in with an actor at the theater. Maude brings Caliban an orange. He reads more into the situation than there is. And long story short, he gets canned. I thought Maude would be the bride but I guess not (red herring). Caliban begs Victor to kill him but he can't. Is Victor finally taking some responsibility for his "child"? Speaking of dead people, Brona is quickly going downhill. Victor gives her a shove into the grave. Mental note: if someone tells you to go fetch a basin of water, DONT DO IT!!! Was it a mercy killing or did Victor just need a warm body for Caliban? Maybe a little of both. And what is Caliban going to do when Mrs Frankenstein doesnt want anything to do with him? Mope around and recite more poetry? 

Bounty hunters are after Ethan. They were apparently sent by Daddy Chandler. Ethan turns into a werewolf and quickly dispatches with them. We've all known Ethan was a werewolf for some time but it was cool to finally see it. I prefer my werewolves as Man Wolves instead of the full blown CGI wolves. And I assume he's also responsible for killing the mother and daughter in episode 1? 


screenrant.com
Somebody Forgot To Shave This Morning

And in the main event, everyone heads to the theater. There's vampires in the rafters, vampires in the basement, vampires all over the place. It looks like our team is about to be fanged when Malcolm kills The Head Vampire In Charge (but it's not Dracula). Vampire Mina (complete with black eyes and fangs) runs out and grabs Vanessa by the throat. She says to her father something like "You've done well in bringing her here. My master will make her his bride. Yada, yada, yada". Malcolm encourages her to reach deep inside herself and find the part that's human. But Mina doesnt want to be human, she likes being a vampire. 

And here's where I think the show goes off the rails. Malcolm shoots Mina. "But I'm your daughter" she says. Malcolm replies with "I already have a daughter". And shoots her in the head again. This time I think she's dead. Even vampires arent good at taking head shots. 

Sorry, not buying it. Sir Murray has spent all season trying to find Mina. He's already told Vanessa on multiple occasions that she is only around to locate Mina. I dont know how much clearer he can be when he says "I would choose her over you. I might even hope I get the chance. Until then, you are invaluable to me." Then there's a complete aboutface and he shoots his own daughter to save Vanessa? How do ya know a little medical therapy wouldnt have worked on Mina? Dr Frankenstein can do all sorts of cool stuff. Well I guess we'll never know. I agree that the Mina story line couldnt go on much longer but they could have found a more palpable way to end it. 

Vanessa later heads to church. She asks a priest to give her an exorcism. Vanessa says "Do you believe a soul can be taken over by another? ... I believe in curses. I believe in demons. I believe in monsters. Do you?" The priest says he did an exorcism once but "everyone" died. Well obviously NOT everyone cause you're still here. I have a suspicion that the priest is actually controlled by Satan (since he doesnt want her to have an exorcism). Anyway, the father replies: "You must look into your heart... if you have been touched by the demon it's like being touched by the backhand of God... It makes you sacred in a way. It makes you special... So here is my question. Do you really want to be normal?" And the scene ends before Vanessa has a chance to answer. 

So concludes "Penny Dreadful". What do you think will happen next season? Theyre going to have to find something else to do besides search for Mina. What new monster will we see next year? I cant wait.  

Favorite Quotes:
  • "Show business, all bitches."- Vincent to Caliban.
  • "Poor Dorian, you've never felt this feeling before have you... it's rejection."- Vanessa to Dorian.
  • "I would rather be the corpse that I was than the man that I am...Pull the trigger. It would be a blessing."- Caliban to Victor. 
  • "Dont worry, I'll take care of the body."- Victor to Ethan about Brona. Yeah, I bet you will.  
  • "If I can save her, I will. If I cannot, I will ease her suffering."- Malcolm to Vanessa about Mina. 
  • "I am who I was meant to be. You will understand when you join the Master, when you all join him. And now that he has his bride, he will sire generations."- Vampire Mina to Pops. 

Grade: 4 3/4 Monsters (out of 5). The only reason I didnt give this a 5 is because I dont believe Malcolm would kill Mina so easily. Things to do next season: 1. See Dorian's portrait and send him on his merry way; 2. Get a look at Dracula (ie Mr Ives); 3. Get Caliban and Brona into marriage counseling (cause you know they're going to need it); 4. Bring back the crazy Egyptologist as a recurring character; 5. Give Sembene to do besides answering the door; 6. Give Ms Eva Green ALL the awards.   



The World According To GMonster
TV:  Heavy On Sci Fi, Horror & Adventure; Light On Reality



Penny Dreadful Episode 8: Dad Always Liked You Best (Season Finale) Reviewed by GMonsterTV on 10:26 PM Rating: 5 screenrant.com "Penny Dreadful" has quickly become one of my most favorite shows on television (and as you know I watch a lo...

No comments: