Survival/ Preparedness: What's In My Bug Out Bag (BOB) - GMonsterTV

728x90 AdSpace

Powered by Blogger.

Survival/ Preparedness: What's In My Bug Out Bag (BOB)


At dinner last week I was talking with several friends about "Bug Out Bags" or BOBs. They are also called Get Out of Dodge Bags, 72 hour bags etc.  For those who don't know, BOBs are designed to hold everything you need in the event of an emergency. They are not meant for long term survival (but usually 3 days instead).

Survival experts recommend having a Bug Out Bag for each family member (and don't forget about your pet's needs). While there are really expensive BOBs that you can purchase from survival websites/stores, it's cheaper to make your own. I have a car BOB (in a foot locker in the back of the car), a home BOB and am currently working on a travel backpack BOB.

Important rules to remember when stocking your Bug Out Bag:

  • Two is one, one is none: This means you should have at least three ways to do everything-- three ways to make a fire, three ways to purify water, etc. With three, if one fails, you have two more options. Most people have only one (which can be deadly during an emergency).
  • The rule of "3s": You can only survive 3 hours without shelter (in cold weather), 3 days without water and 3 weeks without food.

The Contents of my Bug Out Bag: 

Below are some of the contents of my car Bug Out Bag. This doesn't include regular car repair items. I assume you'll have those anyway. Please let me know your thoughts and what I should add/remove in the comments section below:

Water: 1 Liter per day per person is the bare minimum.
  1. Fresh water- I keep at least 3 gallons of water with me at all times when traveling.
  2. Water filtration kit- I keep a travel water filtration kit in my car BOB. It's not a fancy filter that can do LOTS of water but it will work short term. I also have several water bottles.
  3. Water purification tablets- I have enough to last several weeks. Be sure to test everything you have ahead of time so in the event of the emergency you've already gone through all the steps.
  4. Boiling water- If all else fails, I have a pot and can boil water. Opinion varies on exactly how long you should boil water before drinking but boiling 3-8 minutes is the safest option. 

Food and Fire:
  1. I keep several MREs in my car BOB at all times
  2. Also before a trip, I throw a carton of crackers and peanut butter in the car. You can live off  that indefinitely.
  3. In many cases you'll need to start a fire (both to cook food and to stay warm). I have several options for fire:
    1. Several lighters and fire logs
    2. Water proof matches 
    3. A fire starter (to generate a spark) and a magnesium stick
    4. If all else fails I have WD40 and a gas siphoner in case I need to rely on either to start a fire.
  4. I have a spork and a portable stove.

Shelter and Clothing:
  1. When traveling the biggest source of shelter would be the car itself.
  2. I also put my 20 below zero sleeping bag in the car before leaving for a trip.
  3. The car BOB contains an emergency blanket, several tarps (for creating a shelter and putting on the ground under you) and cordage.  
  4. I always bring a winter coat, extra clothing and boots (even if the weather is warm)
  5. In the car BOB I always keep several hats (to cover my ears) and gloves. I also have several hand warmer packs in the car.
  6. Rain gear- emergency ponchos, staying wet for any period of time can be deadly.
  7. Cutting tools- an axe, tree saw and knife- good for making your shelter and fixing your food.
  8. If its winter time, you of course need additional supplies such as a shovel (I keep one in the car at all times) and a way to get the car out if its stuck (I keep cat litter and something to put under the tires).

Safety and Security:
  1. Every BOB should have at least a basic first aid kit (if not more).
  2. Medicine- if you regularly take medication, you want to pack AT LEAST 72 hours worth.
  3. Light- there's nothing more dangerous than trying to stumble around in the dark in an unknown location. I have several options for light:
    1. Battery powered flashlights with extra batteries
    2. A car charger powered flashlight
    3. A crank flashlight
    4. I need to purchase a headlamp
    5. Glow sticks
    6. Several candles
    7. If all else fails there's always fire.
  4. Calling for help- people sometimes forget about this since theyre so used to just plugging in their phones
    1. I always keep a phone charger in the car
    2. I have a battery powered charger
    3. I have a radio that recharges my phone (if the batteries die in it, there is a crank; don't expect to make long calls with a crank charger because it takes a LONG time to charge, even for very sort calls)
    4. People always forget this one, you can connect your phone to your laptop and use the juice off of that. If you travel with a laptop, remember to fully charge it before the trip.
    5. I have considered getting a small portable generator just to keep in the car.
  5. I need to invest in a CB radio so I have another method to call for help.  
  6. While I will not include any gun info here (since laws differ by state), this is definitely an important area (but not necessarily the most important).
Other/Miscellaneous:  
  1. If you have small children, you will need to have a stash of diapers, baby food, etra clothes, blankets, etc.
  2. Feminine hygiene products for the women in the group.  
  3. Don't forget to pack the birth control!
  4. If you wear glasses or contacts, keeping an extra set in your BOB is essential .
  5. There are some things that you could live without if you had to, but they make life so much more enjoyable (such as toilet paper and paper towels). Remember toothpaste, toothbrush, floss and soap. Not staying clean can make ya sick fast.
  6. Remember to have enough spare cash in the event that banks/ATMS are closed. Remember to keep a copy of all vital paperwork (insurance information, etc). Keep some items to barter if you'd like (like toilet paper). :)
  7. Need a map of the local area in case your GPS/phone does, compass and binoculars.
  8. Need contact numbers for all family members written on a piece of paper (in case your phone dies). You'd be surprised how many people don't know anyone's phone #s these days.
  9. Duct tape and superglue- one can never have too much
  10. A deck of cards and any reading materials
  11. Trash bags (large) are good for a number of uses (including sleeping in them if its raining)
  12. Collapsable chair- it beats sitting on the ground
Long term items that ya probably didn't think of/ These aren't items that you would typically need in 72 hours.
  1. Salt (with iodine, you have to read the label because non-iodinzed wont help us).
  2. Vitamins- enough for all family members. 
  3. Radiation pills- let's hope you don't need these.
  4. Suntan lotion- if you're like me, you'll fry outside without it.
  5. Bug repellent- and hey you can eat the bugs if you have to.
  6. Can opener- if you're going long term, changes are you'll have some cans. They are not fun to get into without a can open (although you can beat on them with a screwdriver in a pinch).
  7. Fishing gear







Survival/ Preparedness: What's In My Bug Out Bag (BOB) Reviewed by GMonsterTV on 12:19 AM Rating: 5 At dinner last week I was talking with several friends about "Bug Out Bags" or BOBs. They are also called Get Out of Dodge Bags...

No comments: